NOAA Upgrades 2012 Hurricane Forecast

The Atlantic has been relatively quiet, but things are heating up…

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season has been “busy,” with six named storms since the season began June 1. In May 2012, NOAA forecasters originally indicated a 50 percent chance for a near-normal season in 2012, and predicted the chances for an above-normal season at 25 percent and a below-normal season at 25 percent. But on August 9, NOAA revised the chances for an above-normal season — upping the odds to 35 percent — while saying that the chances for a below-normal season have decreased to 15 percent.

There’s a cool graphic real-time hurricane tracker here. Our tax dollars at work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s